[lit-ideas] Re: Radical Islam and Radical Americanism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:05:30 -0700

Donal,

Interesting.  I think you side with Mike on this.  The Christian principle I
am referring to, (abandoning my oversimplification), is as follows (Matthew
5:21-22, using the NIV):

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,'
and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.'  But I tell you that
anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment."

Much has been written about this principle.  The International Critical
Commentary, Matthew, Volume I by Davies and Allison, page 509, for example:
"According to Moses, those who commit murder will suffer punishment.
According to Jesus, those who direct anger towards a brother and speak
insulting words should or will suffer punishment.  It is thereby stated that
it is not sufficient for followers of Jesus to refrain from the act of
murder.  They must do more.  They must go to the source and root out all
anger.  In this way will the violent impulse to murder not arise in the
first place. . . . Furthermore, by making the punishment for anger the same
as that for murder (a clear hyperbole), anger and harsh words are made out
to be not two human shortcomings among others but grievous sins to be
exorcised at all costs.  (See also 1 Jn 3:15: "Anyone who hates his brother
is a murderer")

Lawrence