[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:00:50 +0100

Thursday, May 26, 2005, 4:42:12 AM, Brian wrote:

>> So, Brian, what do you conclude from that? We should increase our
>> military spending
>> (without, of course, paying for it with taxes)?

B> Why in the world wouldn't we pay for it with taxes?

Because a minimal state might be thought of as non-minimal when
military spending extends beyond a certain point?

B> I haven't seen the newest outlays in both dollars and equipment so
B> I'm not sure which way I'd go.  But I do know one thing: except for
B> ending slavery, fascism, Communism and Nazism, war never solved
B> anything.

It's news to me that war ended Communism (I think you must mean
"brought about the end of the USSR and the ancien regime in Eastern
Europe"), perhaps you could say more about this.  And many say your
Civil War wasn't about slavery in the US, still, it did bring about
its end there.

But the discussion here's about US military spending. Bush's
administration is "the biggest spending administration in decades"
(Cato Institute, http://www.cato.org/  and see FactCheck
http://www.factcheck.org/article139.html )  US military spending as a
percentage of discretionary spending was 49 per cent in 2003. (US
Government data) The Cato Institute, of course, wanted other
non-discretionary spending cut (education and health, say) and that
is what's happening.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx