[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:31:05 -0400

What strategy?  That's the whole point.  We had no strategy, no plan.  In
fact, when Galbraith reported the horrendous outcome in Iraq to Wolfowitz,
Wolfowitz got very angry - at Galbraith for telling him.  Five months later
Galbraith quit.  We replay on this list what happened; reality is reported
to you, you get mad not at the reality or the perpetrator of the reality,
but at the messenger.  They didn't develop a strategy, they kept swinging
blindfolded at a pinata that was in a different room.  And here we are, you
believing in American strategy and tactics when strategy and tactics, when
they exist at all, are 100% wishful thinking.

That's
> sufficient and has been sufficient historically. Not many
> Americans read _Mein Kampf_ or studied up on Shinto during
> World War II. Instead, we broke the German and Japanese
> codes, studied their military strategy and tactics, analyzed
> their weak points, and brought them down, while remaining
> largely ignorant of Wagnerian apocalypse or tea ceremony. As
> for "American stupidity," I think you are a far better
> exemplar than I am.

Exactly. We're fighting WWII with them.  And yes, we are indeed fighting a
Wagnerian apocalypse, a tea ceremony.  Certainly we're not fighting reality
over there.  That's why we're not just losing, we're fading away.  We're
becoming irrelevant. As far as the Koran being another Mein Kampf (again
the WWII), that's ludicrous.  Mein Kampf was one person's account of what
he will do.  Hitler was a leader of a discrete state.  Terrorists groups
are stateless and there are many of them.  We ignored the one who was the
threat and empowered it.  In the meantime, the Koran leads literally a
billion people, a billion people who you want to defeat militarily.

I assume of course that you didn't watch the CNN special on OBL.  If you
did, you'd have seen that OBL got clerical criticism for his 9/11 attacks.
The clerical criticism was so important that he modified his tactics and
now works in conformity with the Koran, which is to say, he is warning his
victims.  It makes it more chilling, but he's still working with the
Koran.. Why are we not studying the Koran and finding ways in which he's
contrary to it to at least slow him down?  To you it's not important, too
Wagnerian, but CNN thought it important enough to put it into a 2 hour
(including commercials) summary of a 20+ year struggle.  Or, maybe we are
studyiing it and that accounts for the increase in sales.  Let's hope.

As far as the exemplar of stupidity, sure, why not, have it your way.  In
the meantime, close your eyes, stop up your ears and recap in words
American supremacy to the world as we display it in Iraq, that place where
the Kurds are long gone (were never really there, but who knew?), the Sunni
and Shia are all but partitioned, the Americans are irrelevant except to be
hated by everybody (except possibly the Kurds) ... Yeah, that Wagnerian
place.