[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 12:44:45 -0400

>>Is anyone familiar with Mr. Waugh and this book?

Waugh is a master of mordant wit, and a great prose stylist. When I read Martin Amis, I can detect bits of Waugh's approach. My favorite Waugh is _Handful of Dust_, although _Scoop_ may have more contemporary appeal.

A good way to approach this writer is to read the Paris Review interview. Waugh gave the interview in bed while he smoked cigars.