[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:21:43 -0700

I feel I should be able to be helpful on the question. I saw the movie recently. I've read lots of Waugh. But I can't think how a Conservative, with a big C, and a Catholic, with an equally high C, one and the same person, might end up in the body of a female character.

And what Fry wrought is a long way from what Waugh wrote.

I'm wondering if you'll find this essay on the differences between the book and the movie helpful:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/09/01/114136.php

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

On Jun 10, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>I saw a pretty good movie tonight, Bright Young Things, based on the book Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh.  I liked it.  Better, I thought, than Great Gatsby.   I've never read Evelyn Waugh.  Going completely by intuition, I suspect he put himself into the character of Nina but I am definitely open to correction.  Is anyone familiar with Mr. Waugh and this book?</x-tad-smaller>