[lit-ideas] Re: Movie

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:21:25 -0700

On Jun 10, 2006, at 9:46 PM, Andy Amago wrote:

I think often authors think they do one thing and wind up doing either
something else, or doing both what they set out to do as well as put in all
sorts of unconscious stuff. This movie worked for me but I didn't think it
was funny even slightly.

Here, we agree, except that I wouldn't write "put in." If the unconscious exists and can express itself, surely it makes little sense to say that the writer is putting those views in? The whole point of Freud's notion was that these things *creep* in unnoticed, no?

This--which you may already have read-- gives further insight into his Waugh's homosexuality, which, like much else in the world, he seems to have hated.

http://www.glbtq.com/literature/waugh_e.html

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon