[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot and Anger

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:19:05 -0000

I know the taste.

Here's my concern: by assuming a 'death is the only solution' approach, the US is creating more enemies than it is killing. Sure if a terrorist cell is discovered in their trucks on the way to the market place, then drastic action might be necessary, but vaporising first and asking questions later is not the apporach. Until that last moment, the pursuit of terrorism is a police matter and when the terrorists are located in another country, it is the job of diplomacy to mobilise the appropriate force.

If the UK had assumed your approach against the IRA, we'd have invaded Eire, shelled Belfast, and possibly sent an SAS squad into New York to sort out Noraid. If any of that had happened and been unsuccessful, we'd still be fighting now against an IRA many times the size of what it was in the seventies.

Suicide bombers want to die; why do it for them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>