[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot and Anger

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 11:15:16 -0800

Hey, don't you be calling me "gleeful."  I told Simon in the beginning I
wasn't interested in this subject, that I didn't want to talk about it, and
that I didn't care about it.  But Simon was Simon and kept after me in his
own little unique way, trying to get me to care despite myself.  But I still
don't.  This subject is a waste of time.  People who like this subject
probably like reading the tabloids in the supermarket and watching Oprah.
I'm sure Simon will wish to call me a racist for not caring about Oprah, but
I don't.  I'm not interested.

All sorts of murderers are executed every year and I don't know any of their
names.  Just because someone is more famous doesn't make his execution more
interesting, at least not to me.  There are subjects I am interested in.
This doesn't happen to be one of them.  Furthermore, in case you are seeking
to refine "gleeful," you should understand that I have no particular brief
for the "death penalty."  Saddam Hussein could have been given life in
prison and I would have been just as indifferent.

Lawrence