[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:58:20 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
(...) I am not, for example, advocating the formation of extragovernmental societies that target random civilians for sudden death. That you see al-Qaeda and counterterrorism as "mirror images" is surprising to me, sort of like someone who confuses a flu with a flu shot, or a poison with its antidote.
(...)
So it takes only a government issuing licences to turn bloodthirsty thugs into respectable officers, atrocities into acts of humanity? You like uniforms, don't you? Your special friend Mr. Achmadinedshad might be pleased to hear you talk that way. Your country's Secret Services are the most extended and most reckless terrorist networks on the planet, their exposed and proven crimes against humanity and international law alone make their foster-childs al-Qaeda and the like look like a choir of acolytes.

I wonder why so many US-Americans follow that primitive "good guys vs.bad guys" scheme; maybe that in order to expropriate the indigenous peoples, those "savages" had to be the "bad guys", and if they reacted to what they perceived as injustice, well, they had no government to give them the right to do that, so that's why they had to be extirpated, of course, which pattern grew into the standard procedure in dealing with, er, obstacles.

It is like Andreas says: "The monster lives in the hearts of people who turn away from law and civilized society and rush into the darkness." The current war is rapidly changing habits to the worse. Many of my friends and accquaintances from study times were from Mesopotamia, they lived in Negev, Nasryah, Bagdad, places targeted by your thugs. I can't help feeling anger and embitterment, particularly when I hear you talk about it in that almost identical Nazi jargon. This should be a place for culture and humanity, nor for war propaganda, hybris and cruel arrogance.

joerg,
from Suebia