[lit-ideas] Re: Malevolence (Was: The Evil That We Do)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 20:01:02 -0700

On 10/9/11 10:04 AM, Andy wrote:

Mike: Is it immoral to leave a newborn baby out on a hill to die when there is not enough food to feed the family? Andy: Seems to me that having a baby if one can't afford one is the immoral part. If one cannot afford a baby, one has no business having one. There are circumstances, no doubt, but for the most part it's those human spirits again. Curiously it would be just common sense, i.e., if there's less food, then let's not invite more people to the party. Instead, it's more like tomorrow we die, so let's have sex today, however much we compound our misery. Do I ask too much of people?
You do if you expect them to follow this argument-by-false-analogy, which simply avoids Mike's question.

Robert Paul