[lit-ideas] Re: Malevolence (Was: The Evil That We Do)

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:11:40 -0500

Apparently Andy doesn't watch the news.  No awareness of what's going on in
Somalia or the Sudan even as we type.  Migrations of starving peoples,
decisions being made whether to abandon a child who can no longer walk for
the sake of the others.  These are real decisions, not hypothetical moral
preachments against having more children than one can afford to raise --
presuming, of course, that it was a free choice by the mother, assuming of
course that "other moral imperatives" are not driving such decisions,
assuming, of course, that social disorder has not destroyed the fabric of a
group that would have managed otherwise.  One should not steal, but to die
rather than steal is an immoral decision within my scope of moral
priorities.  How many thousands of years have parents left "excess" children
on a hillside to die?  Such actions cry to the heavens for a loving and just
God, but none has ever been forthcoming.  Why do the parents then not slit
the child's throat, put a quick end to it?  Why leave the newborn to suffer
unto death?  Why?  I would guess because few human beings are callous enough
to do the deed, to accept that life can be so horridly cruel.  Put the kid
out on a hillside and let God do the killing.  God has no compunctions
against such.

If you think, I'm endorsing infanticide, or dismissing it as the way the
world is, you misread me.  I'm arguing that there's nothing universal about
morality.  It is a cultural construct, just as everything humans engage in
is.  Moral principles are OUR principles -- not God's -- and not
that culture over there.  Morality is limited to we.  Was Hitler evil?
According to my beliefs he was and I would not have hesitated to kill the
motherfucker, but a hell of a lot of Germans looked on him as the moral
voice of German culture.  I understand how that can happen.

Mike Geary
Mired in but still fighting Memphis Morality