[lit-ideas] Re: Malevolence (Was: The Evil That We Do)

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 02:22:04 -0500

My primary interest in ethics or moral philosophy is in the conflict between
moral principles and necessity.  Is it immoral to leave a newborn baby out
on a hill to die when there is not enough food to feed the family?
"Sophie's Choice" kinds of decisions -- I don't think that moral principles
can ever answer these kinds of questions.  How culpable are Southern whites
in their racism when their society taught them to believe as they do?  Was
bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki immoral?  How many more might have died
otherwise?  How are these hypotheticals to be aswered through moral
principles such as "Thou shalt not kill"?  I am an atheist, but at the same
time a strong admirer of Jesus (whether he was real person or a symbolic,
literary creation) and Gandhi and King whom we know were real.  Pacifism is
not only common to them all, but is central to their moral
principles. I believe in pacificism primarily as a tactic, but certainly not
as a moral imperative.  Without a God, an absolute, I don't see how there
could possibly be any imperative.  Logical conclusions, certainly, but
that's nothing more than following the rules of logic.  Even I can sometimes
be logical.  But logic has never seemed to be a real force in life outside
of Logic text books.  But you know what?  I could be wrong.  Although I
don't believe in God, I do believe He works in mysterious ways.

So what is morality based on?  One's culture.  Hmmmm.  Maybe God truly is
other people.

Mike Geary
God of my realm.