[lit-ideas] Malevolence (Was: The Evil That We Do)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:34:04 -0400 (EDT)

I intend to comment on Helm's second bit, sent  today. Yesterday I
commented on earlier bits. I append this bit about  malevolence as a bit of a
challenge.

While I agree with Helm that action  is more primary than thought, there's
this nice Grice quote, quoting Kant, to  the effect that the good will
(benevolentia) is like a jewel, or something --  the apex of the universe.
Grice
adds, "or ill-will for that matter", I think.  Grice's point is that the
morality or immorality lies on ultimately, and  metaphysically, on the WILL, --
i.e. a bit of thought? -- rather than the  action.

Oddly, Grice considered before introducing his conversational  maxims that
there was a conversational principle of benevolence going on.

In any case, just to bring will to the picture, which while not action,
and perhaps while not thought, is somewhere in the middle, or  something.

Cheers,

JL Speranza