[lit-ideas] Re: Malevolence (Was: The Evil That We Do)

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:53:42 +0900

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Mike Geary
<jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> If you think, I'm endorsing infanticide, or dismissing it as the way the
> world is, you misread me.  I'm arguing that there's nothing universal about
> morality.  It is a cultural construct, just as everything humans engage in
> is.  Moral principles are OUR principles -- not God's -- and not
> that culture over there.  Morality is limited to we.  Was Hitler evil?
> According to my beliefs he was and I would not have hesitated to kill the
> motherfucker, but a hell of a lot of Germans looked on him as the moral
> voice of German culture.  I understand how that can happen.

Bravo.

I see a difference here between those who accept the glorious hideous muddle
of the real world and those who think that it must be the way they think it
is because they lack the imagination to conceive of anything else.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN