[lit-ideas] R

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:04:40 +0200

** For Your Eyes Only **
** High Priority **
** Reply Requested by 10/11/2011 (Tuesday) **

Does any of you learned friends read the Nobel laureate of his year? is
he any good?

ξε ν’, γγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις     ἀ ὅτι τ δε
κείμεθα, το ς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27]
031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91 calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx
MY OFFICE # IS 290@Mtb
*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
email me for details if needed at palma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or
privileged and is intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone.
Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the
business of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify
the sender.

>>> Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> 10/10/2011 9:43 PM >>>

Mike:  Apparently Andy doesn't watch the news.

Andy:  I know what's going on because I don't watch the news.

Mike:  No awareness of what's going on in Somalia or the Sudan even as
we type.  Migrations of starving peoples,

Andy:  What's going on in Somalia, etc. is probably a result of reduced
global dimming.  Global dimming is caused by air pollution, as opposed
to the invisible greenhouse gases that cause global warming.  Air
pollution particulates act as a shield to reflect the sun's heat into
space.  When air pollution is cleaned up in the so called developed
world, it stops the reflection back into space and global warming gets
worse.  Those sections of the African continent are in areas that for
some reason are most prone, for now, to global warming induced drought,
so famine is a consequence.  (The IMF is a player too.)   It happened in
the 80's I think in Biafra, after cleaning up air pollution became
somewhat of a priority in the so called developed world.  Ultimately,
global warming is bad for everyone (Norfolk, Virginia is even now
submerging underwater from rising sea levels and not all that slowly;
it's one of our naval bases).  All this La Nina/El Nino weather (the
Texas drought, etc.) is overlaid on a warming world.  So, pick your
poison, air particulates that turn the sky murky and reflect back heat,
or clean air and a significantly more rapidly warming world, and what
that means for water and crops here in North America.

Mike:  being made whether to abandon a child who can no longer walk for
the sake of the others.  These are real decisions, not hypothetical
moral preachments against having more children than one can afford to
raise --

Andy:  Children have historically been treated like property.  In
England they were sent into chimneys as chimney sweeps some as young as
four years old.  They suffered horrific consequences.  What were the
English people's excuse?  That's just one example.  Before Prohibition
the women who crusaded for reforms changed the age of sexual consent of
children from 10 to 15.  And that's here in America at the turn of the
last century.  Children are an afterthought just about everywhere.  It's
changing, slowly.  We're more civilized here in some ways, when we're
not causing extreme PTSD in the places we bomb and terrorize, which
children, later to become adults, pay for.

Mike:   presuming, of course, that it was a free choice by the mother,

Andy:  Women are also treated as property, along with children.  It's
power issues, what else is it.  That's endemic around the world.  Even
here, was it Anita Bryant, and certainly others, crusaded not so long
ago for the right of women to be treated as pets.  Children have zero
rights in this country.  Introduce any and a howl goes up about the
nanny state.

Mike:  assuming of course that "other moral imperatives" are not
driving such decisions, assuming, of course, that social disorder has
not destroyed the fabric of a group that would have managed otherwise.

Andy:  Africa had quite a nice civilization before the Europeans got to
it, and that's just a fact.  They're rich in resources and the world
just decimated them to get the resources.  I'm reading a book called
1493 about the year after Columbus discovered America, after which
Pangea, the one-time one continent that split into two over hundreds of
millions of years.  The two continents, split by the Atlantic Ocean, had
evolved two separate and distinct ecosystems.  Columbus reunited them
ecologically through globalized trade after he discovered the New World.
 That means the Europeans introduced any and every disease causing
microorganism, including malaria, yellow fever, whatever.  Many they
brought with them through the slave trade.  The Europeans denuded
Barbados because of sugar plantations, stripped it bare and allowed
disease-carrying mosquito strains to take over, among an endless list of
ecological disasters that we're feeling today and that may even just be
beginning.  Nature doesn't think in nanoseconds the way humans do.

Mike:  One should not steal, but to die rather than steal is an immoral
decision within my scope of moral priorities.  How many thousands of
years have parents left "excess" children on a hillside to die?

Andy:  Much easier than not having the kids in the first place,
obviously.  Humans take the easy way out, each and every time, no two
ways about it.  If it feels good, do it and then, if necessary, write a
narrative to get one off the hook for one's laziness and greed.

Andy

Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/