[lit-ideas] Europe's future, catastrophic or apocalyptic

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:13:58 -0700

Last Month I read Claire Berlinski's Menace in Europe, why the Continent's
Crisis is America's too.  This book described the growing presence of Islam
and Islamists in Europe but she also hinted at the possibility of a future
violent reaction against European Muslims.  In regard to Germany, for
example, she described their admiration for the rock group Rammstein which
dresses up in surrealistic versions of what could be described as Nazi
Uniforms and sings of hate, murder, rape etc.  I had a number of questions
about what she thought was going to happen in Europe after reading her book.
She didn't tie things together as well as I would have liked.  In an
interview with Front Page Mag, she elaborates on a number of things and her
viewpoint becomes clearer.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=21955

What will Europe become?  It isn't pretty, e.g., Berlinski in the interview
says "Just recently
<http://www.macleans.ca/culture/books/article.jsp?content=20060410_124576_12
4576> Mark Steyn wrote that "[t]he only question about Europe is whether
it's going to be (a) catastrophically bad or (b) apocalyptically bad," and
since he wrote those words while defending my book against its critics, I am
not inclined to disagree. The specifics can easily be imagined, given what I
have described above. France is a nuclear power. What will happen when it's
a majority-Muslim nuclear power? And not a majority-Muslim state in the way
that Turkey is a majority-Muslim state, but in the way that Lebanon is?"

Lawrence