[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's future, catastrophic or apocalyptic

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 00:28:43 -0700

CB: ?Lawrence, you do your argument no good by looking for support to
someone who clearly does not know what she is talking about!

LH: What argument is that, Chris?

LH: Berlinski had a chapter on Rammstein, did a lot of research on them,
interviewed their members, etc.  After reading her book, Menace in Europe, I
was puzzled as to why she included a chapter on Rammstein and another on
Jose Bove.  I guessed as I said at the time that she was using them as
symbols of the European nature that is anything but as acquiescent as
writers like Oriana Fallaci describes it to be.  Berlinski?s description of
them makes them sound menacing.  The lyrics she quotes sound menacing.  She
gives a web site to all of their lyrics: http://www.herzeleid.com/en/lyrics.

I was especially interested in reading her interview with Front Page Mag
(http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=21955 ) because she
leaves the symbolism and coyness behind and is blunt in explaining what she
thinks about the conditions in and prospects for Europe.

In regard to just what statement Rammstein might be making by dressing up as
they have, Berlinski asked them that very question and didn?t get a good
answer.  She didn?t think the Rammstein singers were especially bright.  The
menace she was most concerned about wasn?t the menace that emanated from
Rammstein although they did strike her as menacing, especially the lead
singer.  The menace that most concerned her was from the fact that they were
the most popular group in Germany and that what they presented was not so
very far in appearance from the appearance of Nazis in World War II.  The
fact that so many Germans were attracted to what they presented struck her
as ominous.

The interview explains her views on this more clearly.

Lawrence