[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's future, catastrophic or apocalyptic

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:01:29 -0700

There are obviously two views about these matters.

1) One view has it that the Muslim take-over of Europe is in progress and
Europeans who say otherwise are in denial or sleeping.  This view is
consistent with the viewpoint of those who take Militant Islam in the Middle
East as a serious threat.

2) The other view is that Militant Islam is not a serious threat in Europe
or in the Middle East.  Gilles Kepel and Olivier Roy champion this view.
There are merely a few well-educated but alienated young European Muslims
called Jihadists who are stirring things up.  Roy even challenges the trend
information I recently posted.  He argues that sure the Islamic birthrate is
very high at the beginning but as time goes on and Muslims become integrated
or assimilated their birthrates become the same as those of the ambient
society.  As Fukuyama indicated recently, he embraces the Kepel/Roy
viewpoint and largely as a result has applied this viewpoint to the Middle
East and distanced himself from Neocons who adhere to view number one.

I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with mixing and matching.  We
non-Leftists believe here in the U.S. that there is a serious Islamist
problem in the Middle East.  Muslims who come to the U.S. however are not a
problem (with very few exceptions) because they readily assimilate.  They
become indistinguishable from other Americans.  But while we understand that
to be true in the U.S. we aren't at all sure about you Europeans.  Your
Muslims seem to go berserk at the drop of an insult.  You don't seem to be
assimilating them as well as we do here in the states, and if they remain in
distinctly Islamic enclaves, we think, they shall be growing at a more rapid
rate than the ambient society.  To us it looks as though you may have big
trouble looming on your horizon.

IOriana Fallaci shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.  She represents the fear
that European society is doomed.  I understand that her books are very
popular in Europe.  Perhaps she is wrong but her fear is real -- and it is
shared.  And it is that fear that Berlinski addressed in her book - a fear
like that of a fear-biting dog that rends someone who may or may not have
intended him harm.

If you have a whole city full of Oriana Fallacis and they become convinced
that Amsterdam, for example, is being taken over by a Dutch-hating group of
aliens called Muslims, they may react violently.  Berlinski was, I believe,
suggesting that as a serious possibility.

Ralph Peters said, "Europe, history's killing continent, remains the most
unpredictable stretch of the globe."  People go on making their predictions
about it anyway.

Lawrence