[lit-ideas] Re: Causal Theories alla Grice

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 19:42:46 +0100

JL:

For A to intend that p, a causal element is involved:

A intends that p iff
i. A wills that p
ii. A believes that the probability of p is > 0.5
iii. (ii) --> (i)

*Well, I suppose that A can still intend it even if he believes that the
probability is lower, cannot he ? If A is in the middle of the sea and the
only way for him to save his life is to reach the nearest island -i.e. to
attain the state of affairs p - then he may understandably undertake the
course of action of swimming toward the island even if he believes that the
probability of reaching it is very low.

Jl:
Stevenson's examples involved things like

Smoke means fire.

I.e. fire causes smoke.

Grice prefers

Smoke 'means' fire.

*Grice may 'prefer' this, but one wonders if he is not actually engaging in
the fallacy of affirming the consequent. To say that 'fire causes smoke' is
reasonable enough because in usual conditions fire is sufficient to cause
smoke. To say that smoke 'means' fire is more suspect because smoke can
have causes other than fire. Similarly, face spots can be caused by measles
but they can also be caused by other diseases. That is why reasoning from
effects to causes is much less reliable than the other way around. Based on
the 'signs' here, there is a suspicion that Grice was not only not to be
bothered with "the details for causal chains" but with examining causality
at all.

O.K.