[lit-ideas] Re: Causal Theories alla Grice

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:36:35 +0100

Well, the historian is supposed to have good reasons to believe that the
Battle of Waterloo happened on that date, a high-school student is not. As
long as the student provides the expected answer, we are going to accept it
whatever its source, even if he heard it from his otherwise quite
unreliable girlfriend. (As long as it did not happen during the exam.)

Loosely speaking, we might also say something like: "I knew that it would
rain that day (i.e. I heard the prognosis) but it didn't." There is a limit
to how far a philosophical theory of knowledge can be expected to account
for such loose uses.

O.K.