[lit-ideas] Re: Attacked - The New Republic

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:31:06 -0700

Simon Ward wrote:

"Fair and balanced", that phrase never fails to make me suspicious, but I'll take your word for it.

You appear to be too young to be so cynical, Simon.

Interesting, however, that the Neocons might 'falsely claim' that Strauss was a founding father. I can believe that Strauss might not have wished for such offspring, but if the Neocons were really influenced by Strauss how can their claims be false?

To say that he was a founding father of the Neocons who claim him is a bit like saying that Nietzsche was a founding father of the Fascists who claimed him or that Wittgenstein was one of the founders of Logical Positivism, even though the members of the Vienna Circle, by misunderstanding him, thought he was.

Cheers,

Robert Paul