[lit-ideas] Re: Attacked - The New Republic

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:16:29 +0100

Stan: What economic blockade are you referring to...

I'm dumbfounded that this hadn't been noticed. Try a Google search on "Gaza Economic Blockade".

Actually, I'll do it for you Stan:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Gaza+economic+blockade&meta=

There's a Guardian article dated in April:

"An empty watchtower overlooks a deserted road lined with rusting vehicle parts. The only traffic is a pregnant bitch and a mule and cart. This is Gaza's economic lifeline, the Karni crossing into Israel, which is supposed to handle 1,300 containers of merchandise and food per day in order to sustain 1.3 million people." http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1754847,00.html

Christian Aid:

Cases of malnutrition among Palestinian children under five years of age has more than doubled in the past year because of the Israeli security blockade Christian Aid has revealed.
A Palestinian medical charity funded by Christian Aid says this is a direct result of the economic blockade of the Gaza Strip imposed by the Israeli government. http://christian-aid.org.uk/news/media/pressrel/020307p.htm

Washington Post:

The war-torn Gaza has been more hurt by the Israeli economic blockade and the closure of checkpoints connecting the territory to Israel than by Israeli bombardments in the last few days. We hear reports of economic difficulties from Gaza: rotten vegetables, electricity breakdowns and problems at schools throughout the region. http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postglobal/mikio_ikuma/2006/07/lets_face_the_economic_reality.html

And these are just three from amongst those websites that I thought might be appetizing for you Stan. In fact so easy was the search that I can only believe you were attempting to bluff Omar into thinking that you really didn't know about the blockade. I mean, how could Israel do such a thing...how could it create a ghetto.

Simon