[lit-ideas] Re: Meanwhile back at the ranch in Newfoundland....

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 20:08:24 -0700

Walter wrote:

It's been around 23 degrees C. for some time now here in St. John's,
Newfoundland. (You might need a Canadian map to find us as Amerikan maps often
end at Nova Scotia in the east, alas. But we don't take these things
personally.) Cool breezes waft through our fair isle, and consequently we expect
a large number of humungous (sp?) cruise ships from Europe, Japan and other
ports to hit our harbour and contribute substantially to our municipal coffers.

As far as I can discover, 23C = 73.4F. I hope no one in St. John's is felled with heat exhaustion. The Portland airport, where such things are officially recorded, made it up to 104F today although I'm sure it was hotter downtown. The highly sophisticated (German) sensor which allegedly measures the temperature outside our car hit 111F on one stretch of pavement when I was out and about this afternoon.

I think I'll hold off on the Scotch until the days are shorter and the nights are nippier. (I got that pun from Erin.)

Robert Paul
reed.edu