[lit-ideas] Re: Attacked - The New Republic

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:09:28 -0700

Simon Ward wrote:

I'm not sure that an age in advance of forty is too young for cynicism, Robert. Besides, my distrust of the phrase 'fair and balanced' derives from FoxNews rather than any personal outlook.

You don't look a day over thirty-nine in your blog picture! I realized too late that 'fair and balanced' was a catchphrase from Fox News, whose use of it is indeed ironic. It was a witty allusion and I missed it.

And as regards Strauss, is this a case of bastard children or a belated paternity suit pending a sizeable inheritence? Alternatively, is anyone else staking a claim to him?

I think his work still carries some weight with a few political scientists and perhaps with a few historians of ideas. Straussians are mostly self-styled. I was only concerned to point out that while the title of the NR piece might imply otherwise it was an attempt to save Strauss from certain of his soi-dissant followers, in this case the Neocons.

Robert Paul