[lit-ideas] Re: Ask the Ayatollah

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:02:26 -0500

First, let me thank Robert Paul for his post. I didn't know that the Pope had called for a day of fasting to prevent the war in Iraq. Apparently most of Catholics didn't get the message. Too bad.

As to Andy's question, Since 1983 Catholics between the ages of 14 and 59 are supposed to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and every Friday during Lent. In addition, those same Catholics are supposed to fast (eat only one large meal and 2 smaller ones -- fast??) on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Even before I left the church, Catholics were no longer being sent to hell for eating meat on non-Lenten Fridays. Thanks to John XXIII for that. Too bad for all those who were already roasting their souls on hell's open fire.

The Catholic Church has always had it priorities right. Drinking alcoholic beverages was never considered as breaking either fast or abstinence. Catholics also know how to manipulate God and the Curia. In the Middle Ages the one large meal during fasting was not supposed to be eaten before nones -- the ninth hour (3 p.m.) Some monks found it hard to wait that long. They put their creativity to work and reasoned that 'nones' being a time period within which certain prayers were to be recited referred to the time period, not the actual hour. Since sext (sixth hour) ended at noon, then nones started at noon and ended at 3 pm and so one could eat a large meal at 12:01 pm without breaking fast. Btw, our word 'noon' is derived from nones. Old tun belly Thomas Aquinas went further reasoning that a small quantity of nourishment not taken as a meal, did not break one's fast since it was not a meal. I love the Catholic Church. Catholics make such bad Muslims.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>