[lit-ideas] Anarchism and Leftism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 07:37:32 -0700

http://www.infoshop.org/afterleftism.html

After reading Andreas article last night I became interested in its
Anarchist element.  The elements of Leftism are well known, but the
association of Leftism with Anarchism while something I've run across from
time to time has seemed an individual thing -- a fringe element.  Perhaps
there is a more going on in this vein today.  Some anarchists apparently
want to rid themselves of their Leftist millstone and become Post-Leftists.
I would think they would need to quit siding with Leftist positions if
that's what they want, but apparently some others believe they can continue
to side with Leftist positions.

Here is a Wikipedia article on Post-Leftist Anarchy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-left_anarchy   It is described as
something that has rapidly developed since the fall of the Soviet Union.  I
see a reference in this article to the Post-Left Anarchists opposing
"authoritarian Leftism."  They especially oppose "compulsory moralism."  I'm
not sure who they have in mind here.  It is beating a dead horse to oppose
the authoritarian Soviet Union and its compulsory moralism.  Do the Welfare
States of Europe impose "compulsory moralism?"  I hadn't heard that.

Here is a Wikipedia article on "Left Anarchism."  I can't tell from this
article how a "Left Anarchist" would stand on the war against Militant
Islam.  That isn't the concern of the article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_anarchism  But I will suspect that they
will side with the Left on this war until I hear otherwise.

Lawrence