[lit-ideas] Israeli Speech

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:36:11 -0400

The Israeli Ambassador to the UN began, "Ladies and gentlemen, before I
commence with my speech, I want to relay an old Passover story to all of you

When Moses was leading the Jews out of Egypt toward the Promised Land, he had
to go through the nearly endless Sinai desert. The people became thirsty and
needed water. So Moses struck the side of a mountain with his cane and a pond
appeared with crystal clean, cool water. The people rejoiced and drank to their
hearts' content.

Moses wished to cleanse his whole body, so he went over to the other side of
the pond, took all of his clothes off and dove into the cool waters. When Moses
came out of the water he discovered that all his clothes had been stolen, and I
have reasons to believe that the Palestinians stole his clothes."

The Palestinian delegate, hearing this accusation, jumps out of his seat and
screams, "This is a travesty. It is widely known that there were no
Palestinians at that time!!!"

"And with that in mind," said the Israeli Ambassador, "let me begin my speech."

" A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
  against his government." - Edward Abbey