[lit-ideas] Re: "A right and an obligation"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 00:36:54 -0400 (EDT)

P(A) ⊃ ~O~(A)

If A is permissible, then it is not the case that it  ought not to be that
A.

(the above from the deontic logic wiki entry)

Incidentally, since both Walter O. and R. Paul mentioned this, according
to Sinnott-Armstrong, who is
Chauncey Stillman Professor of Practical Ethics  in the Department of
Philosophy and the Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke  University,

ought CONVERSATIONALLY implies 'can'.

`Ought'  Conversationally Implies `Can'
www.jstor.org/stable/2184585
The  Philosophical Review, XCIII, No. 2

where the notion he derives from  Grice.

Grice got initially fascinated with these sort of questions --  regarding
iterability of deontic operators in terms of conative operators --  after his
work with Judith Baker, who has shared some of her researches with the
journal of Kant Studies -- where it belongs!

Cfr. the statements in the entry in "deontic logic" in the Stanford  entry:

Imperfect obligations are often thought to include obligations where no
one has a right to sanction you for violations.

Below, pasted, the google page for first hits of 'two sides of the same
coin', 'duty' and 'right'. An EXTENDED metaphor.

But cfr.:

"Three-Sided Coin" is Nickelback's first compilation album, being a rare
2002 Japan-only release by Roadrunner International.

and:

How Much for a one sided coin?
_www.cointalk.com/t190923/_ (http://www.cointalk.com/t190923/)  -  Traduci
questa paginaCondividi
13 post - 7 autori - 25 ago 2011
I know this will have many answers, but  I'm seeking a consensus. What
reduction in value do you give a coin where one  side is fair and the ...

Cheers,

Speranza

Fundamental rights and duties on the two sides of the same coin of  ...

RIGHTS & DUTIES: TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN. I have been witness to  many
movements and many campaigns that involve rights of those concerned.

RIGHTS & DUTIES: TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN. | Sulekha ...

Sulekha Creative Blog - I have been witness to many movements and many
campaigns that involve rights of those concerned. Human rights, animal rights,

Justice rights and duties
_www.slideshare.net/.../justice-rights_
(http://www.slideshare.net/.../justice-rights) -...  - Traduci questa pagina

28/mag/2012 – Rights and duties are two sides of the same coin; i.e. a
person has a duty to respectthe rights of others and in turn can expect others
to respect ...

[PDF]
Two Sides of a Coin: Rights and Responsibilities - World Vision
_www.worldvision.org/.../TwoSides_
(http://www.worldvision.org/.../TwoSides) ....  - Traduci questa pagina

Formato file: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Visualizzazione rapida
Rights and  responsibilities are like two sides of the same coin. You can't
have one ...  Respect for the rights of others is a duty to God. » We are
to treat all as if  ...

Short Essay on "Rights and Duties Are Inseparable
_www.preservearticles.com/.../short-e_
(http://www.preservearticles.com/.../short-e) ...  - Traduci questa pagina

06/lug/2011 – Rights and duties are inseparable. They are two sides of the
same coin. Rights are certain privileges granted by the state. On its part,
the  state ...

The right to know and the duty to inform
_www.pucl.org/from.../inform.htm_ (http://www.pucl.org/from.../inform.htm)
 - Traduci questa pagina

The right to know and the duty to inform are really two sides of the same
coin. The Supreme Court should also appreciate that in cases where the
Government ...

Two Sides of the Same Coin | 9/11 and the "New Normal" Decade
y1nnd.blog.sbc.edu/.../two-sides-of-... - Traduci questa pagina

21/ott/2011 – Rights and Duties are two sides of the same coin made of the
same metal so intrinsically mixed that one cannot come without the other.

[PDF]
202/3 - Haryana
haryana.schools9.com/.../English%2... - Traduci questa pagina

Formato file: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Visualizzazione rapida
15 ]. Rights  and duties are the two sides of the same coin. One can't
exist without the  other. Duties without rights are mere slavery. Similarly,
rights without duties  ...

Precipitate: From Rights to Duties
kmthinking.blogspot.com/.../from-ri... - Traduci questa pagina

17/ago/2009 – Rights and duties ultimately both represent the same values,
like two sides of the same coin: if everyone is fulfilling their duties,
then  everyone's ...

Rights and duties are the two sides of a coin? - Yahoo! Answers  India
in.answers.yahoo.com/.../index?qid... - Traduci questa pagina

1 risposta - 19 gen 2012
there is a debate competition in our school  on 'rights and duties are the
two sides of a coin'. ... It is not necessarily  "two sides of the same coin.