[lit-ideas] Re: "A right and an obligation"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 00:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/6/2013 6:00:54 P.M.  UTC-02, omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
I am recently hearing things such as: "We  have a right and an obligation
to vote." Can something be both a right and an  obligation ? It seems to me
that the concept of "right" entails a notion of  choice (you can choose to do
it or not to do it) which the concept of obligation  clearly does not. Any
opinions on this ?

Well, googlebooks.com only provides two hits (two of the three below are
identical) for the phrase,

"he has a right and an obligation", so perhaps we should isolate further
cases.

Besides the problem raised by O. K., there's also the equivalence:

"I went to the zoo; there were animals and elephants".

Since "x is an elephant" ENTAILS "x is an animal" (as "he has an
obligation" entails "he has a right") the phrase does border on the otiose. Or
not.

McEvoy may object (or not) to the Gr*c*ian treatment of 'right/obligation'
being puzzling from the point of view of observance of Gr*c*ian maxims.

CHILD (to Father): Can I go to the bathroom?
FATHER: You can, but you may not.

Cfr. R. Paul:

>ought implies can.

For surely, if

it must rain

it does follow that

it may rain.

But it would be odd to utter, "it may rain" (which IMPLICATES, "but then
again it may not") when the utterer is in a condition (rare) to know that it
_MUST_ rain. Mutatis mutandis,

"he has an obligation not to lie" seems like the correct thing to say,
since

"he MAY not lie" (i.e. he has a right not to lie)

seems less informative (on the face of it). Or not.

Note that 'right' has a further implicature that 'may' does not ("if he has
 a right to do A, then A is the right thing to do"). Or something.

Gr*c* argued for the AEQUI-vocality of 'must' (in alethic and practical
contexts), since he abhorred the view that there was a moral 'sense' of "must"
 vis-à-vis OTHER 'senses'. Similarly, for 'may'.

But one point to argue  would be that while

"ought" implies "can" -- seems like an intelligent (if brusque)  thing to
say,

"ought" implies "may" -- seems colourless and harmless -- or not. -- cfr.
"MUST implies MAY".

Cheers,

Speranza

American secondary education - Volumi 1-2 - Pagina 4
books.google.com/books?id=HxorAAAAMAAJ
Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators, Ohio Association of
Secondary School Principals - 1970 - Visualizzazione snippet - Altre  edizioni
... but is one who makes decisions after careful study and  consultation
with teachers, students and lay personnel. Since he has a broad  education and
has specialized in education,

he has a right and an obligation

to stand up for what is best for ...

Departments of state, justice, and commerce and the United States ... -
Pagina 1744
books.google.com/books?id=0n00AAAAIAAJ
United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Appropriations - 1954 -
Visualizzazione snippet - Altre edizioni
Under existing law, if the  Postmaster General thinks the rat he pays are
too high,

he has a right and an obligation

to file a petition with t! Civil Aeronautics Hoard requesting their
reduction. Moreover, he may interrei in any pending proceeding.

Departments of State, Justice: the judiciary, and related agencies ... -
Parte 2 - Pagina 1744
books.google.com/books?id=CkEQAAAAIAAJ
United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Appropriations. [from old
catalog] - 1954 - Visualizzazione snippet - Altre edizioni
Under existing  law, if the Postmaster General thinks the rates he pays are
too high, he has a  right and an obligation to file a petition with the
Civil Aeronautics Board  requesting their reduction. Moreover, he may intervene
in any pending  ...