[lit-ideas] Re: "A right and an obligation"

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:24:50 -0500

On a less strictly philosophical note, someone mentioned when the
expression "a right and an obligation" came in to frequent use, and not
only did that post not lodge in my memory although I thought it would (a
common occurrence these days), but it apparently did not lodge in my
computer either.

 In any event, I think there's been a certain use of emphasis in that
phrase in that groups of people in this country, over time, have had to
fight and risk varying things (time, money, arrest, imprisonment, injury,
death) to be permitted what they deem to be their right.  Once the law
accepts and decrees that, in fact, they do have the "right" to (vote)....
it is felt by some to be a moral obligation to act on that hard-won
"right", that the sacrifices may not have been made in vain, for nothing.

On the other hand, in those states where same-sex marriage is legal, it is
certainly not considered an obligation.

When women won rights in the work place it was (sometimes subtly) implied,
if not by converse, at least by the pragmatism of maintaining a
single-income household, that women in general were obligated to work
outside the home.  It became a practical obligation to many, which I think
is a big disconnect for a lot of women.  "They" didn't want to work outside
the home, didn't lobby for it, etc.  (One might almost say there was a
societal implicature that women *should* work outside the home.)

Perhaps that's the line that's crossed when a legal right is on its way to
becoming a legal obligation, as John mentioned may be the case in Australia
vis a vis voting.

I've got to quit stalling on lesson planning, parent emails & listening
lists, etc.

Julie Campbell
Julie's Music & Language Studio
1215 W. Worley