[Linux-Anyway] Re: Bash stuff

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 18:33:25 +0200

Meph Istopheles wrote:

>>>  Not any longer.  There was a time, though -- as well as a
>>>few other languages I've not had any contact with in years.
>>>I ~can~ manage to figure out what many European language docs
>>>are on about still, but I couldn't translate for a living.
>>>

>>Nor would I, despite being bilingual.
>>

>>If in a French environment I'll speak and think in French. If
>>in an English environment I'll speak and think in English.
>>

>>Being able to translate or interpret requires being able to
>>switch rapidly from thinking in one language to thinking in
>>another, and that is something I can't do easily.

Simultaneous translation is something I find hard to believe it's
possible, but it works. Compared to that, translating texts is easy so I
think I'll offer the members translation services if needed. I think I'm
this group's undisputed expert on German, so if there's a kraut writing
your life depends on understanding, send it to me. I can also do some
french (if Godwin is not around or willing) and I stand a good chance to
get the meaning of any doc in a slavic language (though quite
unreliable). I'm waiting for my chance to abuse Scott as japanese
translator/tutor. And we'd need someone to translate Meph to english ;-)
Yes, there's babelfish, but especially with german it's a crook. As I
last tested it on a german text, out came something I'll cal germlish,
and utterly useless. I don't know what Google uses, but it's better.
However: if you can't get any value out of those, send it over.

>  I'll go along with that.  I remember having got to the point I
>understood the spoken Polish, but trying to explain what the hell
>they'd said to another in English was a drag.  I'd usually just
>say that they were looking for something & try -- in broken
>Polish & English -- to communicate.

Though you understood it, I'll bet anything you couldn't pronounce it
properly. Polish is among the languages most difficult to pronounce, and
you probably have to be born polish to ever speak it right.

>  I do like the fact that if I should ever be so lucky to move to
>any European country, I should be able to pick up most any
>language pretty quickly.  I've always had a knack for that when
>round people speaking another language frequently in my presence.
>
>  But I'm not holdig my breath that any company would be willing
>to hire & transport me over based on ~my~ skills;-).

I think that if you'd transport yourself over, you'd find someone
willing to hire you. With a UNIX cert of sorts and some experience in
SQL, it seems it's not that difficult to get a job. Just yesterday I
read that the Brits found there's no IT personnel shortage any more and
they stopped their program to hire foreigners - you missed that one.
Germans still want to attract foreign IT workers, but the terms are
quite restrictive so they can't get much of them. Austria is even more
restrictive.

Cheers
Horror Vacui