[Linux-Anyway] Re: Bash stuff

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 00:09:08 +0200

Meph Istopheles wrote:

>  Odd, since my recent install, I find that the Delete & End keys
>aren't functioning on the cli, I get a ~ instead & a system beep.
>
>  What's up with that?  I'd checked man bash to no avail.  Any
>while I'm sure I could find the solution eventually on Google, I
>thought I'd see if there might be a quick fix here while I
>continue on some other things I'm working on.
>
>  Anyone?
>
>  Meph

Had something similar with vim. While backspace worked fine in bash,
it'd produce ^? in vim. Googled on it and found that the solution was
putting a line in /etc/profile.local saying:
stty erase ^?
I looked briefly into man stty and found this syntax, also found also
you need to set stty eol CHAR (you'll have to find out what CHAR you
need, probably the key code, and I have absolutely no idea where to look
for it), but haven't found anything on delete.

I have no solution, but this at least looks like a clue. HTH

Cheers
Horror Vacui