[LRflex] Re: R lenses

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:48:31 -0500 (EST)

Miguel Asensio wrote:

> ... I'm looking at wide angle lenses in the 20 - 28mm range
> and short telephotos from 100 - 180mm.
>
>Could anyone give me a run-down of the R lenses in those ranges and
>their strong points?

stretching your focal length range a bit...

19mm: the older version (big front element) is good but in most respects is
out-performed by the 2nd version (built-in filters)

21mm: the 21mm f/4 Super-Angulon-R, a Schneider design, is older than the 19mm
lenses.  It's more convenient if you want to use filters other than the ones
built into the late 19mm lens, but is not as sharp particularly at the widest
apertures.  The diaphragm has 4 blades.

24mm: this is a minolta design; it has many fans, and possibly an equal number
who are not impressed with it.  Might be a personal taste issue, or a heritage
issue.  I have no personal experience with it.

28mm: early version (detachable lens hood) is quite good at distances, late
version (built-in rectangular hood) is improved at distances and much improved
at close range.

100mm: f/4 macro is good but not spectacular.  This lens was made both for
bellows only and with a helical focussing mount.  f/2.8 APO macro is
apochromatic and spectacular: bright colors, outstanding detail, gradation &
contrast, good bokeh.  The 100 APO uses a dedicated supplementary lens (Leica's
name for these is Elpro) for the 1:2 to 1:1 range.

135mm: good for its day, but heavy and a long-ish minimum focus distance.  The
early version (Germany) flares readily but has nice creamy bokeh.  Stop it down
to f/5.6 or so for best results.  The late version (Canada, heavier than the
first) has improved performance at close range.

180mm: the f/4 Elmar's best features are its compact size, light weight and
small filter size.  Optical performance is good but not great; as with the 135,
it flares readily but has good bokeh.

The 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt is a very old design, originally developed for the US
Navy.  It's performance at/near infinity is outstanding, degrading at closer
distances somewhat.  It has a long minimum focus distance and early versions
use an unusual Series 7.5 filter size.  Late versions are optically identical
but use 60mm threaded filters.

There are three 180mm f/2.8 Elmarits.  The earliest version is very heavy and
has a built-in non-rotating tripod mount.  The second version is much lighter
and has no tripod mount.  I won't comment on performance of these lenses
because I haven't used either very much.  The third 180 Elmarit is the APO,
which is a delightful lens is most respects: it's very sharp, shows
delightfully smooth bokeh, light weight and has an excellent minimum focus
distance.  IMHO the two things that would improve it are a bit more resistance
in the focussing ring, and a built-in rotating tripod mount.  An add-on
rotating tripod mount is available but I find it not as smooth and effortless
to use as the one on the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt.

The 180mm f/2 APO-Summicron-R has an excellent reputation and I have almost
zero experience with it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com