[LRflex] Re: North American Leica promotions.

  • From: "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:47:56 -0400

Hi David:

Well, as you know, the price on M cameras has been increased to levels that
ordinary mortals would find difficult to justify.  In addition, I have been
told that Leica has removed the ability for various dealers to become more
"aggressive" in pricing such that all dealers are supposedly selling M
cameras for the same price(s).  When added to the vast increase in sales of
digital cameras ( as well as the falling prices of such cameras ), one might
suspect that the already limited market for new M gear is decreasing even
more.  However, of interest is the fact the older M gear such as the M4, and
even some of the very desirable screw mounted cameras such as the 111G have
retained value, and are even appreciating ( as noted on Ebay ).  One must
wonder if buyers are actually using such cameras, or are hoping for further
appreciation in order to sell.  Sort of like the real estate market in
California.

Elliot