[LRflex] Re: North American Leica promotions.

  • From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:20:54 -0700

G;Mornin Elliot!

You wrote:

>Well, as you know, the price on M cameras has been increased to levels
>that ordinary mortals would find difficult to justify.

Actually, Elliot... Leica's price has not gone up. The value of the US=
 dollar has gone down, making imported goods more expensive in US$.  The=
 Canadian dollar has risen significantly in the last year, against the=
 greenback, as well.  This makes US made goods cheaper for us, and our=
 goods more expensive for you.

> In addition, I have been told that Leica has removed the ability for=
 various dealers to become more
>"aggressive" in pricing such that all dealers are supposedly selling M
>cameras for the same price(s).

I know nothing of this. However, under US law, anyone can sell at any price=
 he likes.  What Leica has (quite legally) done is to say that if you=
 advertise for less, we won't give you advertising support money and other=
 such perks. So you can still dicker with the dealer, but you won't see=
 them **advertised** for less. This is done by many quality makers to=
 prevent price wars which can tarnish reputations faster than lightning.

You'll see used car dealers offering all sorts of freebies and gimmicks=
 ("bring you're wife...we'll give you $20 per pound off the price of your=
 next car!") that would never be used by new car dealers.  In turn, GM,=
 FORD, Honda etc., use promotions that would never be seen at your Mercedes=
 or Ferarri dealerships.  And, of course, Rolls Royce have never heard of=
 the word "sale".  I don't know about your town, but in mine, their=
 dealership doesn't even have a illuminated sign.  Just a small painted=
 wooden one that simply says "Rolls Royce  - builders of fine motor cars".

So, it's all in the image.  And despite their current troubles, Leica don't=
 want theirs destroyed. They're planning on being around when the troubles=
 are over!

>When added to the vast increase in sales
>of digital cameras ( as well as the falling prices of such cameras ), one
>might suspect that the already limited market for new M gear is decreasing=
 even
>more.

Yes... you'd think that.  But, apparently the M cameras are holding their=
 own, in sales, quite nicely.  I think this is because despite being a=
 tiny, niche market, they have it pretty much to themselves.  True, the=
 Cosina/Voigtlanders are there, as well as the Epson digi-cam, but neither=
 are in Leica's quality level. I suspect they're all doing fairly well.

And as a percentage, a free Leicavit or motor drive with an MP or M7 is a=
 significant savings/reduction.  Neither item is cheap... appoaching 1/3=
 the price of the camera.

According to the factory, it's the "R" sales that have suffered at the=
 hands of digital and even conventional auto-everything SLR's from Nippon.=
 Thus, I'd have expected a similar deal on the R9. (Rumour has it that they=
 have a warehouse full of them!) Say.. buy an R9 and get a free motor=
 drive.

Or, more likely, buy a DM-R and get an R9 for, say, US$ 699!

But, it didn't happen.  Perhaps the DM-R is causing enough people to buy=
 R9s that they don't feel they need to do this... at least, not yet.

However, it is part of the official plan to "re-value" their inventory.=
  This normally means writing it down, flogging it cheap and getting much=
 of the difference back from the tax man. A great way for any troubled=
 company to raise revenue in a hurry.. something I supect Leica needs to=
 do.

As for older "M" gear going up in value... well, I supect it's the=
 collectors hedging their bets that Leica will not make it.  Sort of like=
 an artist who's works go up in value the minute he dies, because there=
 just won't be any more.

Y'know... if they did do the "buy a DM-R and get a cheap R9" trick, even=
 I'd start stroking my chin about it!  I'm looking forward to playing with=
 a R9/DM-R in San Francisco, come October.  :-)

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm