[LRflex] Re: Next "R" Camera Survey - 20 Questions.

  • From: Javier Perez <summarex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:02:21 -0700 (PDT)

That's an ideal situation IE: to have a rich enough
company that you can afford to make a small group of
prestige items and sell them for little or no profit
while recouping with huge sales on mass market items.
Unfortunately, that approach has been tried but does
not seem to be self susteianig for some reason. I
think Nikon tried it as did Topcon. In every case the
top prestige products get eliminated by the next
generation of management which is usually not made up
of camera buffs!

As for rebadging, Leica hasn't really done that except
with the point and shoots. Thr R3 and R4,5,7 were
substantially different from the XE and XD. Only the
film plane casting was the same. The mirror box and
front plates were not. The base electronics and
shutter were the same but the dual metering and extra
circuitry were different. I don't really think that
qualifies as rebadging.

Javier

--- Chris Birchenhall <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

=== message truncated ===