[LRflex] Re: Next "R" Camera Survey - 20 Questions.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:43:08 -0700

At 19/10/2006, you wrote:

>You are probably both right. They have never listened
>to customers before and those customers have responded
>by switching over to other brands. Of course it's
>possible that they are beginning to listen now and
>they may even start turning a profit but I doubt any
>of you will like the company that comes out of all
>this. When I hear talk of new young managers and
>designers and throwing out the oldsters and agressive
>new managerial approaches by individuals who have made
>a reputation for themselves by squeezing the last dime
>of profit out of a company, I start thinking of
>companies that I don't like to do business with like
>Google or Microsoft. I don't know maybe if they are
>successful, the trendy sorts will eventually swap
>their idiotic Tommy Hilfiger T-shirts for similarly
>idiotic Leica T-shirts. Way I see it, if this fellow
>wants to impress me he would have to show that he's a
>hardcore camera nut anf pictrure taker in addition to
>a business man. Put him on the list and have him prove
>himself! The questions might get tough!
>
>Javier

Javier:  I think that Mr. Lees has better things to do than respond
to this list.

However, I do know that both he and ACM are committed to maintaining
Leica standards, both in design philosophy and quality.  I do believe
that the company which emerges in a couple of years time will be
leaner and much more responsive.   Gains will be made in
manufacturing efficiencies, and much better design.  But, from the
standpoint of the purchaser of Leica products, little will change.

As far as manufacturing efficiencies goes, they have already
purchased Sinar, another firm in financial troubles, but one which as
a lot of digital expertise.  There is no doubt, in my  mind, that
Sinar and Leica will work together, for their mutual gain and profit.

Likewise, before the end of this year, you will see ACM purchase
several (2or 3, at least, as I understand it) of Leica's parts
suppliers.  This is to ensure a stable and cost competitive parts
supply for Leica.  Something which has been a problem for Leica, in past.

As well, Leica have been rapidly developing their in-house software
capabilities.  One little known fact is that all their current,
Matsushita-built, point and shoot cameras are no longer merely
re-badged Panasonic cameras.  Although the mechanics (other than
trim) are identical, the firmware they contain is entirely developed
by Leica.  These days, they actually do produce superior photos to
their Panasonic equivalents!  And Leica is committed to increasing
this in-house capability.

The DMR was produced for Leica by Imacon. Similarly, they have a
partner (unknown to me) in the development of the firmware for the
M8, as they do not have such capabilities, as yet. However, they plan
to have this capability in time for the R10, and later M
cameras.  Although I have not had this confirmed, I will not be
surprised to see ACM buy the "partner" who has developed the M8's
software (which is, btw, very, very good!).

One way, or the other, Leica is rapidly becoming a self sufficient
player in the field.   And this, to quote Martha, "is a good thing".

All I ask, Javier, is that you do not dismiss a firm that you do not
know, and as yet, does not even exist!

And, before you condemn companies who " throw... out the oldsters and
aggressive new managerial approaches by individuals who have made a
reputation for themselves by squeezing the last dime of profit out of
a company,"  remember that the old managers did not squeeze out a
single dime of profit, and thus drove the firm to the edge of
bankruptcy and dissolution.  Like it or not, profits make the world
go round.  They provide jobs for people who work for those
companies.  Without ACM's vision and faith, Leica would likely not
have made it to next March, and some 2, 200 people would have lost
their jobs.. not to mention we would have lost a producer of some
very fine cameras.

Respectfully,

David.