[LRflex] Re: Next "R" Camera Survey - 20 Questions.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:44:25 -0700

Andy Wagner wrote:

>   One of the things that no one has yet touched upon is the fact
> that the "stogie old managers" seemed more content in making
> special label products for the very elite few collectors instead of
> pushing new developements.( how old were the M6, M7 designs?) I
> really would like to see Leica move into the digital age
> aggressively. We've lost to many high quality camera makers. As for
> Canon and Nikon, with many of their features they built a percieved
> need and then market it as a must have item.
>   If Leica can rebuild their brand and we have a viable company
> down the road more power to them. Do whatever it takes.

Andy, et al,

My sentiments, exactly!  Javier seems too hung up on the fact that
ACM are in this for the money.  But, if it weren't for the money, why
would anybody put up hundreds of millions of dollars to try rescuing
a company which is not going bankrupt, but is already bankrupt?

Without ACM's money and desire, Leica would already be where Rollie,
Voigtlander (the German one), Minolta, Konica, Contax, Yashica and
others have already gone.   Without their money, the M8 would never
have seen the light of day.  (Indeed, as I understand it, without
ACM's drive, the M8 would likely not have been ready for another 12 months!)

Like it or not, reality is that digital is here to stay, and has
virtually replaced film... if not for the users of existing film
cameras, certainly for the buyers of new cameras.... the only part of
the market which camera makers are concerned with.

I agree, Andy.  Leica must "do whatever it takes"... and for the
first time in 50 years, the seem to be on track!