[LRflex] Re: Next "R" Camera Survey - 20 Questions.

  • From: Javier Perez <summarex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

Well David
Those are all nice thoughts, but the company you are
describing already exists. It's called Canon. As for
this Lees fellow not haveing the time to answer
questions on this list, if that's the case why should
we have the time to buy his cameras! BAD ANSWER! As
for the young managers, thing. It looks like they want
to start marketing themselves as a young and vibrant
company!  I have never liked companies that worship
the youth culture and I avoid them like the plague! If
that's what Leitz turns into then I will not have
anything to do with them.
When I need technology, the EOSes can get the job
done. If I need superb optics I can use C/Y, LF or new
stock Zeiss M42 lenses. So then, assuming that I have
the disposable income, in order for me to buy Leica I
have to like the comopany and their products.

As for the survey. I found one question very unusual.
That was the use of polycarbonate lens barrels. I
believe unreinforced polycarbonate has a higher
expansion coefficient than most metals including I
think, aluminum. That makes it useless as a carrier
for optical elements in a critical design either
directly in the lens packs or in the focusing barrels.
Polycarbonate is also more flexible than metals and
can distort more easily under load. Again, it's not
suitable for critical apps. I believe a few R lenses
were made with plastic barrels but I think they were
limited to the normal Summicrons. Also, when designing
a premium lens the cost savings of polycarbonate over
spun aluminum is minimal. All this sez to me that
someone at Leitz is trying to squeeze the last
possible cent out a lens by taking shortcuts that
shouldn't be taken. Of course if you really want to
save money and make a lighter lens correctly you can
have polycarbonate focusing rings, aperture rings,
hoods and index scales, but that would look cheap. And
I guess in a youth orinted company, looks are
everything! Polycarbonate barrells are fine for budget
and low end L lenses but for something like this you
need metal. I'm not sure but I believe Leitz optical
designs require tighter tolerances in element location
than the others. Polycarbonate bodies are another
story as long as the film plane and lens flange are
well tied togeher and you can make the rest of the
body out of rubber for all I care. But that's another
story. I am a huge fan of plastics and composites but
in the right places!
See Ya
Javier