[LRflex] Re: Mid range zoom advice

  • From: "Dr. Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 23:59:43 -0500

FWIW, I traded in the 35-70/3.5 and the 28-70 towards the new 28-90 Asph.  I
found absolutely nothing wrong with either of the lenses I traded in, but
simply wanted to try the newest R zoom lens with the added focal length at
either end.  The 28-90 is a great performer.  It is nice to have both the 28
and the 90 available-the extended range is something that I find useful.  I
keep the 28-90 on the R9 almost continuously...it is razor sharp, but much
heavier and larger then the two zoom lenses mentioned already.  Allow me to
add that the 80-200 is great for portraits and when one needs more "zooming
power", and I agree with those who have stated that the 80-200 is-dollar for
dollar-perhaps the best bargain in Leica R lenses.  Although I have slowly
added and traded for many R lenses over the years, I think that I could
easily get by with the two zooms alluded to above ( 28-90, 80-200 ), and the
new 50/1.4 which, to my mind, has a look and fidelity that is truly unique.
However, a discussion of "that 50mm lens" is for another time.

Let us know what you chose to do, and of course, the very best of luck.

Elliot