[LRflex] Re: Mid range zoom advice

  • From: "Robert O. SHAW" <rj5s@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:02:33 -0800

Aram:

I've had the 28-90 for about 6 months.  My other lens is the 70-180 APO.

The 28/90 is my "always on camera" lens.  I generally use it on my R8 and
use B&W for that rig.  The 70-180 usuallly goes on the R9 with color and the
Motor Drive.

I've run enough different types of film through the 28/90 - attached to
either body with/without the Motor Drive to convince myself that it's a
keeper lens.

If I simply must have a faster aperture on the long end (i.e. 70-90mm for
portraits or isolation shots), I slap on the 70-180.  Further, the 28mm end
at 2.8 is almost always wide enough for most landscapes and certainly fast
enough.

I've actually backed off on getting the 19mm and will probably go "longer"
in future with an APO extender or an APO above the 70-180 (also a keeper!).

Feel free to ask me any questions about the 28/90 offline at rj5s@xxxxxxx

Bob in Seattle