[LRflex] Mid range zoom advice

  • From: pwerner@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:13:57 +0100 (CET)

May add my grain of salt Aram,

Since I have most of the available choices, I could actually compare them. I
have used them on the R9+DMR: I made some comparison shots on http://www.
leicaphoto.net/discus/messages/7/340.html?1132617662, but they do not really
help in making a selection.

Comments:
--------

2.8/35-70 Vario Elmarit - It is said to be one of  the best lenses Leica ever
made, unfortunately very very expensive. It was too expensive to build and
Leica
stopped making them after they built some 200 (some say 400) lenses. It is
indeed fantastic in sharpness, contrast, color rendition, bokeh, but relatively
bulky and heavy. It also has excellent macro cababilities. You can find pre-
ownded ones around US$ 7000 (yes seven thousand US dollars). I do not use it so
often because I feel uncomfortable when carrying ariound such an expensive
piece
of glass, it would be a big loss if it was stolen. It is also very complicated
mechanically and I fear it might get easily damaged by an accidental shock. And
finally I do not like to carry so much weight.

4/35-70 Vario Elmar - My favorite and one of the best bargains in Leica zoom
lenses: excellent sharpness, contrast, color rendition, bokeh, combined with
relatively small weight and size. It has become the lens I use most. You can
see
some pictures I took with it on my web site. (http://www.leicaphoto.net/discus/
messages/7/7.html?1130732384).
You can find good used ones around $800

2.5-3.3/35-70 Angenieux - compared to the 4/35-70 better maximum aperture,
bulkier although not heavier (lots of carbon fiber to keep down the weight).
Color rendition is excellent, a bit warmer than the Leica lenses, but sharpness
and contrast below f/5.6 are not as good as the Leica 4/35-70 (or 2.8/35-70 of
course). Recommended if you need bigger aperture. if you can live with f/4 go
for the Vaior-Elmar. You can find used ones between $300-800

2.8/45-90 Angenieux - as bulky as the 35-70 Angenieux but heavier (all metal).
Of historical interest. Good color rendition (warmer, as all Angenieux), but
not
as sharp as the other lenses I mentioned.

I have not used the 2.8/28-90. I have heard very positive comments on Fred
Miranda (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/267995). Since it is quite
bulky
and heavy, I prefer to stick to the 4/35-70 Elmar and use the smaller and
lighter Vario Elmar 4/21-35 for wider angle. Maximum aperture is not so
important for my kind of photography.

I hope these comments have been useful
Cheers
Peter