[LRflex] Re: Mid range zoom advice

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:57:15 +0100

Hi Aram

why the unforgivable? so long as you find the lense that suits you,
you'll find someone (you for instance) to forgive you, won't you?

About Leitz various varios I can't tell much with regard to the mid
range. I own an Angénieux and I'm VERY pleased with it. It Provides
flexibility and some degree of quality in spite of its age.
I very much doubt Leitz/leica would have released so many zooms if they
had not been up to their standards.
Now, standards change with progress, and that's where it becomes tricky
for you. Where and is it wise to stop the race?

And if you should doubt of the quality a mid range zoom can bring along
(regardless of weight, cost and snaps lost while changing the lens and
now it's too late ..) here are two snaps I got this afternoon. I took
them for fun and sheer pleasure. Never intended to share them.
http://perso.numericable.fr/~phamard/B&W/BW.html#5
<http://perso.numericable.fr/%7Ephamard/B&W/BW.html#5> and previous one.
The scan is poor as usual, but it'll give you an idea. Film is Kodak
colour processing bw 400 iso, cam is R3, light was awful on the second;
TV + halogen ...

When all is said and done, I hope you'll make the right choice for
yourself and get maximum satisfaction out of it.
Good luck

Yours
Phileicangenieux.