[LRflex] Re: Is it worth repairing the R3?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:26:28 -0700

At 07/06/2006, you wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 11:20:21PM +0200, Philippe Amard wrote:
> > Hi Aram,
> > The view in the R3 and R4 are completely different, sorry Aram.
> > I own both and when I want a lighter, larger and sharper view I take the
> > R3 as the controls are fewer and the view is less blocked than in the
> > R4, which, in spite of its much better electronics, is a real disaster
>
>Hmmm, makes me want to get an R3 to cohabit with my SL. Wouldn't the R3 make a
>nice "automatic" companion to the SL?
>
>Jerry

Hi Jerry!

The R3 has 'problematic" electronics.  Mine had a few foibles, but
ran OK.  As long as they run, they're a great camera.  Pentaprism is
not as large as the SL or R8/9 but larger than the R4 through R7s...
and thus, correspondingly brighter.

If you send an R3 to Leica for a CLA the price was about 50% more
than for the R4 & later models.  Moreover, they would guarantee the
R4 and higher for a year. The R3 they would only guarantee for 90
days.  Tells you something, doesn't it?

If you're willing to live with a larger camera, buy an SL or R8. Both
are available used, at reasonable prices, and a lot more reliable than the R3.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Limited Edition Prints at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/prints.htm
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:  http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm