[LRflex] Is it worth repairing the R3?

  • From: Juan Gea-Banacloche <banacloj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 01:44:14 -0400

My R3 is acting up. Some exposures are blank. Nothing. Zero. 5 in a
24-exp roll and 3 in the subsequent 36-exp.

When I open the camera without film and look, I am unable to see a
problem at any manually selected speed or in Auto, either with spot
or center-weighted metering.

I can live without the R3, which has a worse reputation than I think
deserves, but I hate to throw a camera I like so much. (In fact, it
has almost everything I need, except I would like faster shutter
speeds). I am guessing that having it repaired by Leica (if they
still do... I know they service from R4 on, but I am not sure about
the R3) is more expensive than buying one with 6 moth warranty from
(say) KEH or Adorama.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions (in terms of shops to send
it to and cost)?

Thanks in advance,

Juan