[LRflex] Re: IMG jordan...

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 12:29:30 -0800

Philippe said:

>> For instance, when dealing with an advert, a newspaper or a book; words
may/must/should echo photographs, and vice versa, re-inforcing each other.
But they can also sort of clash and create a gap where the viewer/reader is
"required" to think. <<<

Philippe,

That's an obvious assumption, if? The photograph might be used in that
fashion. In the case of my medical career as a photojournalist if and when a
situation arises where a non-medical client requests to use a particular
photograph, certainly in a good cause for the medical profession. I contact
the doctor and ask for a "situation release" to use it. In that case we're
covered.

Otherwise all the photographs in my medical books have absolutely no
explanation of what's happening in the scene because each image is about as
strong an image as one would wish. ERGO: no explanation necessary to
increase impact.

However what "This is Our Work" & "Doctor's Work "have with each photo is a
quotations from Sir William Osler's writings more than a100 years ago.

What these quotations do is, illustrate what he wrote then as an observation
still apply to modern day medicine. Without explaining what the doctors and
nurses are physically doing in the photograph. In the third book "Women in
Medicine. A Celebration of their Work" which Sandy Carter and I produced
shooting in the USA & Canada is similar. But not a quotation for each
picture as the photos are perfect stand alone images with absolutely no
words required. Simply because the photographs do not require words to
enhance the feelings produced when looking at the pictures.

Many members of the LUG and other Leica related lists have copies of these
books.

It's exactly the same with Steve Barbour's "Kids in Hospital" series! The
impact of each photo doesn't need a word of explanation because they grab
you by the heart and gut as stand alone pictures illustrating the wonderful
resilience of children, that adults do not give them credit for to fight the
good fight for recovery and survival.

If you were a medical student and wanted to know what operation was being
performed or technical info that's a completely different thing.

But our photography isn't for that, although many of my photos are used by
teaching physicians illustrating certain points.

Hopefully by now you understand why we do not use any description with our
pictures as we're not producing teaching or advertising material. When I've
been assigned to shoot certain "advertising situations" we always use
"Actors or models" as patients.

Have I explained myself clearly? Not likely.

ted