[LRflex] IMG jordan...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:24:44 -0700

On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Philippe AMARD wrote:

Agreed, in part Ted.

Fully agreed to when the photograph is a stand alone item.

Maybe not so much and likely to be re-considered depending on the context. For instance, when dealing with an advert, a newspaper or a book; words may/must/should echo photographs, and vice versa, re-inforcing each other. But they can also sort of clash and create a gap where the viewer/ reader is "required" to think.

This is how I construe Steve's line "but knowing something about some of these kids... would enable the onlooker to see them differently".

We choose and are constrained in medical/human images, to maintain confidentiality, both for legal reasons as well as for personal reasons of human kindness and good taste.

Of course, if you knew such things as diagnosis, outcome, and survival, then...

This gets into specifics like... is the patient, at the time of the photo sick or well ?, is the disease life threatening ?, how long will this person live ?, did the child survive ?...

all of which may profoundly influence one's interpretation and appreciation of the image...
for good or bad...

While it strikes me as unusual in photography to be unable to divulge key information about the subject...both in the photo, or in words. However personally, I will not divulge certain things, ever, for a variety of reasons... this in turn makes some types of images more difficult to accomplish...it also has an effect on the understanding of those who look at them...

Steve

What matters then is not making or breaking the photograph, both words and picture serve another but common (higher? caution on that one phx is) purpose.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Just my opinion.
Bien amicalement.
phx :-)

Ted Grant wrote:
Steve Barbour offered:
>>I, a believer that the image should speak, and need no words...<<<<
H Steve,
Absolutely! That’s when juding and often commenting on a photograph I really don’t want to see any words simply because on more times than not the words completely change the “meaning of the picture” which in turn takes away from the actual visual impact! Are we not visual people, therefore words are meaningless in most cases? We’re either hit immediately by.. “WOW! Look at that!” Not by “Boy in cap” or some other words added to what we can already see. And if the photographic moment has been executed correctly on the mark any good photographer or visually astute person will see the motivating moment first and the words second as an add on or distraction.

>>>but knowing something about some of these kids... would enable the onlooker to see them differently,<<< By the same token, there are times when a word or two assists in the impact of a photograph. Not always, as it depends on the subjects where the photo on it’s own has some kind of confusion to it, but a word can make or break it as working or not.
ted