[LRflex] Re: For Kevin: Choosing Nikon bodies for Leica Glass

  • From: <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: Leica-Reflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:46:26 +0100 (CET)

Hi Neil,

I didn't imply that I was regretting film, far from it.
I don't think I'll ever go back.

But you're right, ergonomics suck in modern cameras, too many options - I had
rushed for the D700 when there was that rumor about the D800 with video last
year. Not a patch on the L1 with its semi-Leica manual controls :-(

I just wanted an R4, a digital one.
Now with my ophtalmogist telling me the truth, I'm often very happy with AF ;-)

Bien cordialement de Metz
Philippe

Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR Mail sur iPhone et Android.

Message du : 12/12/2011 15:59
De : "Neil Gould " <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
A : leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copie à :
Sujet : [LRflex] Re: For Kevin: Choosing Nikon bodies for Leica Glass

> From: "philippe.amard"
> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 22:31:43 +0100
>
> I went the Nikon D700 route and regret it - apart from (stunning) high
> ISO the camera is not meant for me, period. Not after Leicas.
> I had intended to get the E5, I still might do this as I haven't sold
> my outstanding D-vario elmarit nor my crystal Oly 7-14 and 50-200
>
> Yet, I'm at a loss for the first time in my life, no camera does make
> me dream, AT ALL ...

Philippe, this sentence exactly sums up my feelings!

I have Nikon and Canon digital cameras, and have worked with digital images
since the mid '70s (video work, from Quantel Paint Box on...) so although
I'm not "anti-digital", in my view the user interfaces on most digital
cameras are inelegant and a real inspiration-sucker. One shouldn't have to
study a 100-page manual and be a finger-contortionist just to control
exposure.

Then, there's the rapidly depreciating value of high-cost systems,
time-consuming, eternal maintenance requirements for digital images, and the
inability to look through archives without a computer...

I guess I'm just a "filmy" kinda guy!  ;-)

--
best regards,

Neil