[LRflex] Re: For Kevin: Choosing Nikon bodies for Leica Glass

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:54:15 -0800

David, Kevin and all.  Here is my take.  I own a D7000, and my father-in-law
owns a D300, not the S model.

If you want/need full frame, then the D700 is probably the camera for you.
If you have/want Leica wide glass, they will behave like they were intended
on this camera, as far as focal length goes.  I have not used one, but did
handle one.  Nice camera w/o breaking the bank as much as the upper lever FF
Nikon bodies.

If you are more interested in the telephoto end, then I would recommend the
D7000.  In many ways it is superior to the D300, and is some ways it is not.
Read the specs as far as AF sensors and such to see if these differences are
meaningful to you.  As far as other people's remarks that the higher MP
sensor in the D7000 is a hindrance, let me tell you that the high ISO
difference between the older D300 and newer D7000 slight, but definitely in
favor of the D7000.  My camera at ISO 3200 is superior to his at ISO 1600.
Si I disagree with David in this.  Maybe he as seen other results, but my
experience with the both of us shooting side by side is that the D7000 is
superior. The smaller pixel size is offset by a more modern technology,
evidentially. And the D7000 is cheaper, has a better viewfinder, and,
important for me, smaller and lighter.

I am sure the D700 is superior to both, however, as far as clean results
from high ISO.  By how much, I do not know.  Since weight was very important
to me, and since most of my work at the time with Leica did not include much
in the way of wide angle work, I did not even give the D700 a second look.
But that is just me and my use and my collection of Leica glass I had at the
time.

So, I would raise the D7000 much higher on the list.

Hope this helps.