[LRflex] Re: For Kevin: Choosing Nikon bodies for Leica Glass

  • From: "Axel Collier" <axel.collier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:05:37 +0100

Hi all
I have a Nikon D300s and am very happy with it. I own only one Angenieux
70-210 (no other Leica glass) that i had Leitaxt and am happy with the
results on my Nikon, but hey, I am just an amateur.
I think Aram and others have a point when they say the D7000 or D700 are
superior to the D300s on image quality because they are more modern cameras.
But when I go take pictures in bad weather (not often, but it happens) the
D300s was built for this. But for wide angle of course, D300s is no option
for Leica glass.
I think manual focus should be easier on a D700 if that is important for you
! (the D300 has only one dot for focus confirmation and it works but is not
ideal, Live view of cours is a great help even on the D300s)
It depends on what you want to do with it.
You might even wait some time because the successors of the current
generation (D4, D400 etc) should come "soon" .
A good source for Nikon is Rockwell. He compares the different cameras you
talk about. He has strong opinions but somethimes he contradicts himslef.
See :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm
or for one of his comparisons  :
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/comparisons/2010-11-08-d7000-d300-5dmarkii-d3-iso/index.htm
A more professional source is Hogan , see
http://www.bythom.com/
He knows a lot about coming products , look also at his Nikon gear page.
Have fun reading and taking pictures,
greetings, Axel